Thursday 4 December 2014

Expect a White Christmas here in the South! #baptisms

Last week one of my friends from school asked me a question that I wanted to answer for her. It really hit me so I am going to share it with all of you. I hope it helps.
Her question: Have you ever felt like you have so much responsibility and assignments to complete but not enough direction to complete them? Like, the Lord trusts you a lot to get things done but you wish you had more specific directions in getting them done?
As always, the scriptures are the best place to turn to receive answers. When coupled with prayer, we will receive the revelation we need. I dedicated a personal study to this and this is what I learned.
I read 1 Nephi 17-18. It is the story of Nephi building a ship. In vs 8 we read Nephi is given an assignment from the Lord to build a ship. This assignment would not only affect him but generations of people, for if he didn't complete it they would not have made it to the promised land. The Lord promised to help him and show him what to do. However in chapter 18:1 we learn that the Lord only showed Nephi from "time to time" what he should do. In vs 3 we read of Nephi often going up to the mount to pray and recieve further guidance. We, as deciples of Jesus Christ, are a return and report people. In other words, we are given an assignment from the Lord and then we must account to him through prayer as to how we are fulfilling it. Once we do what he has  asked he will give us further knowledge. We cannot expect to know all at once what we should do. Imagine how Nephi was feeling? I am sure at times he was overwhelmed, discouraged, and didn't know what to do? But, the Lord trusted him and gave him enough guidance and direction to be able to do it. He did not give him every little detail for if he did Nephi wouldn't have learned anything! So it is with us. We can't expect all the details of what to do, or no growth would come and no knowledge would be developed. There are so many principles from this story that we can liken to  our selves!! I don't have time to point them all out...but please read it with the above question in mind and liken it to your selves.
I also read Ether 2 and 3 where many of the same and additional principles are taught. I challenge you all to read that as well and apply the principles. I love this one because the Lord solved 2 of the Brother of Jared's problems (air and steering) but left he last one up to him to solve (how to get light)... He did all that he could. He molted stones and carried them up the mountain but in the end it still was not enough... and this is where the most wonderful gift comes in--the atonement. The Lord touches the stones. Wow is that ever powerful. The same is true for us. We will do all that we can but in the end we trust in the Atonement to make up the difference!!!
I wish I had time to write and explain everything I learned, but I know that as read these stories with a prayer in your heart the Lord will help you understand the principles relevant for you. Liken them to yourself and apply them. The scriptures are our greatest gift.
We had a great Thanksgiving. Sorry I will try to send pictures next week. Sister Sanchez and I are loving our YSA branch. Each member is becoming so special to us. We love them. (In a missionary sort of way I promise! haha gotta love YSA)
If you haven't checked out He is the Gift yet on christmas.mormon.org repent and go watch it right now. It will change your life.
 I love you all. Christmas time is the best time to be a missionary. Make the most of it! Expect a White Christmas here in the South! #baptisms
I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment