Tuesday 7 January 2014

Preparing for your mission

This week I wanted to share a few bits of advice for those preparing for their missions. Just a few things I wish I would have known or done before I entered the field. 

1. Memorize the How to Begin Teaching bullet points on P. 176 of PMG. I did this before I left and it was such a blessing! We use them everyday in every lesson. They are inspired and important. The faster you learn and internalize them the better.

2. In my mission we listen to only Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I wish I had known this before so I strongly recommend calling the mission office and asking what types of music you are allowed to listen to. We also have a cardigan rule. Whenever we are around Elders we have to wear either a cardigan or some type of jacket. Never just a shirt. I wish I had known this beforehand as I would have brought more cardigans. It is good to call the mission office and ask what the specific rules are. Each mission is different. 

3. I bought a big cute bag that I thought I would use everyday. Ya joke... Get something small!! Your shoulder will thank you. Remember that simple is key... small and simple. I also recommend getting a mini version of each of the scriptures. Like the military size ones. My comp has them and they are a blessing! They are small and light. Most missionaries here have them. I have gotten some from the lds online store that I will use for proselyting and use my other ones for studying. 

4. I thought I would use only pens but it is so important to use pencils for your planner. Make sure you bring some mechanical pencils. 

5. I am just going to say it... Sisters prepare to be BUSTED! This is what me and my comp call it. It doesn't matter how much makeup you put on in the morning or all the time you spend on your hair it will not last. Pretty sure at night all the makeup I put on is off. We got caught in the rain a lot as well... ya good times! :) Time is precious. Don't waste it on getting ready. I mean please do all you can to look presentable but don't worry about looking perfect. At the beginning I always blow dryed and straightened my hair everyday. I did that for a week and now I just shower, put some moose in and go. I would way rather spend my time doing other things. People will recognize you as servants of the Lord as you bare testimony to them that you are representatives of Jesus Christ and they see the light in your eyes and your special countenance. 

6. Honestly I believe the best way to prepare for a mission is to go to the Temple. Go as often and as much as you can! Love the Temple. Treasure your time there. It is the best way to prepare for a mission. My mission prep teacher gave us a challenge one week to pray for 15 minutes everyday. This really helped me to "really" pray. To plead with God in mighty prayer rather than rote presentation. It really helped me to prepare for my mission as well. 

7. Begin to Memorize and internalize our purpose as missionaries as stated in PMG. Love it! It is amazing purpose. It echo's that of Moses1:39

That is all I can think of for right now. I will keep thinking about it and share more as the ideas come. Just remember one thing: Missions are the best 18 months to 2 years for your life! It will change you for eternity. 


We had an amazing harvesting experience this past week. We had time for one more house and we both felt good about one particular one so of course we went and knocked. The man led us right in and allowed us to bless him and his wife. After the blessing the wife was almost in tears as she expressed that the other day her and her daughter were talking about angels and how there are truly angels watching over and will come and help them through what they are going through. She said that she knew that we indeed were God's angels. The spirit was so strong. Afterwards we were talking to the husband outside and he shared with us how he is looking to move on to the next chapter of his life. He wants to change and is currently going through a divorce with his wife because he is ready for change. I testified to him that changing our circumstances won't change who we are. He is looking for peace in his life and that peace only comes as we allow Christ to change our heart. I told him that he was looking for peace and contentment in all of the wrong places and that he needed to turn to Christ. The spirit truly gave me the words as I testified of the enabling power of the atonement. He felt the spirit so strong. His whole countenance changed. They are an amazing couple and I know that God sent us to them that they might have happiness and peace and that there marriage can be saved! It was such a miracle and I can't wait to keep teaching them and see them enter the waters of baptism. 

I love you all! Thank you for all of the love and support through letters and prayers. I am most grateful for each and everyone of you! 
Our beautiful Christmas Apartment! We work hard to keep it clean. : )

The Haitian part of the ward put on a New Years Party at the church. It was one of the wildest, craziest, ward parties ever! First off they had SO much food! Sadly they got it all out right when we had to leave! (We had to be home by 9) They had everything from 2 little boys dancing to Beat It to other fun numbers. So fun. One picture is with a Scott. He is a member of a less active family. He has got some serious attitude! He makes us laugh. 



Notice in the one pictures the man in the white tank top and all of the Tattoos? That is Keith!! He is awesome. A recent convert of 3 months. He is HILARIOUS and so CONVERTED! He comes out with us a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment